Saturday, September 15, 2007

I'm self-medicating.

Yes, I'm self-medicating. With a chocolate milkshake from McDonald's. At least it's a small - I could have super sized it. You see, when I'm sad or upset, I usually call my dad. He's kind of like my therapist. Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it - I'm sure he doesn't feel unfortunate) he's out in the Pacific Ocean somewhere between Santa Cruz Island and Catalina right now. Definitely out of cell phone range. Lucky guy.

I, on the other hand, just returned from taking our beloved dog, Pip, back to prison. Okay, that's melodramatic. I took her back to "school" - that is what we call it when we talk to Brynn about it. It's been three weeks since we adopted her and despite the potty and fear-of-kids issues she's had, it has been an extraordinarily fun three weeks. I feel so bonded to her. I knew it was going to be tough letting her go, so last night I spoiled her - I let her up on the sofa with me to cuddle while we watched Oprah. We got to learn all about Vera Wang's new line of affordable clothes at Kohls. Actually, I think Pip was asleep. And this morning I took off for Cañon City around 8:30, stopped at the vet's office to pick up her shot records, and quickly began crying as the vet assistant went to copy her records. I had to tell the assistant that Pip wouldn't be returning to the office. I broke into tears and cried almost all the way to the prison.

When I arrived, Pip's trainer, Edward, assured me that I was doing the right thing and that they'll find a dog who is a match for our family soon. That's all I can write. I'm too sad.


Watching Oprah with Pip

1 comment:

carrie said...

Oh, Hill! I'm so sorry to hear that you had to take her back!!! You absolutely did the right thing. If she wasn't adjusting, it's better to find a dog that will adjust and love being with everyone in the family. I am positive that there is a very lucky dog out there somewhere waiting for a fantastic home. No doubt you will find her/him. :o)