Monday, December 10, 2007

Deer in mourning




The patriarch of one of our neighborhood deer herds is dead...in our backyard. I believe he died of natural causes because there is no blood around. It was definitely not a mountain lion attack. I think he was dead or dying last night while I took Libbie out to pee at 11pm...she was very jumpy and freaked me out so we didn't stay out long enough for her to do more than a quick pee. In the light of the morning I saw why. Here are some photos of the rest of the herd paying their respects...

Deer in Mourning


After Scott took these photos more deer continued to gather. If you look at the photos in the "slideshow" view you'll get a much better idea of what was going on.

2 comments:

Court said...

Hummm. What do you do if a deer dies in your yard? I've never had to think about that before.

Hillary Dickman said...

I've thought about it before and thought it wouldn't happen to us. You'll see in the next post what we did!