Thursday, January 31, 2008

Letter to my representatives

Because things like what I blogged about in the previous post make me SO angry, I decided it was time to contact my representatives about the current state of American agriculture. I didn't vote for any of my representatives (Doug Lamborn - R, Ken Salazar - D, and Wayne Allard - R) but hopefully whomever did vote for these yahoos made good choices. If they're good representatives, surely they'll listen to me, right? Yeah, right. When can I move to New Zealand? Maybe things like this don't happen there. (Do I sound like Alexander from Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?) Okay, clearly things like this happen almost everywhere, but allow me a moment of optimism, please.

Here's what I wrote:

Dear Senator Salazar, (and Senator Allard and Representative Lamborn)

Since reading an article in December about the mistreatment of factory-farmed animals, I've been on a quest to purchase and consume only local, humanely raised meat and poultry. In addition to my quest for what I've been calling "happy food," I've also been educating myself on the state of American agriculture. As I'm sure you are aware, the state of our agriculture is hideous.

From the government-induced over-production of corn and soybeans to the disgustingly inhumane treatment of animals on factory farms, our agricultural system is in shambles and is, dare I say, shameful. It actually makes me feel ashamed to be an American when I consider what a disgrace our agricultural system is. It is our food culture, or some would say, lack thereof, that is allowing our agricultural system to continue down the current path to destruction of our land as well as our health as individuals.

Probably none of what I have said is news to you. But, if any of it sounds unfamiliar or you would like to learn more, I would urge you to read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and/or Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Both have tremendous amounts of light to shed on this situation.

I do not know what the right solution is to the problems with our country's agriculture, but I know that together we can redirect our nation from a fast-food nation to a country with respect for the land from which our food grows and the animals we raise on it.

Thank you for your attention to this heartbreaking situation. Please let me know what I can do to help.

Sincerely,
Hillary Dickman

No comments: