Friday, January 18, 2008

Required Reading: The Omnivore's Dilemma

Thanks to my good friend Jen Ulbrich, I am currently reading (actually, listening to) The Omnivore's Dilemma. Wow. This book should be required reading for any Americans who eat. Oh, wait, that's all of us. Let me rephrase that: this book should be required reading for all Americans - anyone involved in federal policymaking should have to read it twice. I'm only through chapter seven, but already my eyes have been opened. I already knew a bit about the surplus of corn and soybeans in this country, but now I understand more about how that surplus started, how it affects our economy, and how it is ruining our health as a nation (think: high fructose corn syrup and cattle feedlots - two of the worst inventions ever). I'm looking forward to getting through the rest of the book.

I'm listening to the book as I repaint and redecorate our guest room. While searching for upholstery fabric for Callie's room I found the end of a bolt of exaggerated houndstooth fabric like some I'd admired in a recent issue of Cottage Living magazine. Finding the houndstooth fabric (which was incredibly inexpensive since it was the last six yards of the bolt) gave me the kick in the pants to get that room done. I started the guest room when we moved in but never really finished it. But, I'd still rather read The Omnivore's Dilemma than work on that room, so making a deal with myself that I can only listen to the book on CD while I'm working on that room is making me super-motivated to finish the room. Can't wait 'til the kids go take a nap so I can get back to work!

No comments: