Monday, February 18, 2008

I Am Beer Man, Hear Me Roar!

This is Scott. I normally don't blog, but today I found out something that affects American beer drinkers......something near to my heart, and my wallet.

For those of you who read this blog on a regular basis, you know that Hillary prefers local food from happy animals, real milk, etc. At the same time, I've been transitioning my beverage of choice from Budweiser to local beers that have fewer transportation costs, less of an impact on the environment, and just plain taste better. The local beers cost more than Bud, but are so good and filling that drinking one local beer gives me the satisfaction of two national brews. The best local breweries that I've found thus far are Bristol Brewing Company right here in Colorado Springs, Breckenridge Brewery, and New Belgium Brewery (Famous for Fat Tire). Here is a link to a New Belgium page that gives a summary of New Belgium's sustainability approach. Why not drink beer from a brewery like this that brews beers that taste so good and are also good for the earth?

So everything was happy and fine, until this morning when I read our local newspaper, The Gazette, and found this article.

The price of my local beer is going to go up about $1 a 6-pack because there is a shortage of hops! What is wrong with this country? Farmers aren't growing hops and barley because it is more lucrative for them to grow corn? Corn is my least favorite plant (we don't say hate in our house) because some idiot from the Nixon Administration thought it would be a good idea to subsidize farmers who grow corn at a loss, so we'd have a surplus of corn. Ever since then Americans have been putting corn in everything from gas and cow feed to almost every "food" that comes in a cardboard box or a plastic bottle.

I don't want to pay $1 more a 6 pack, so please stop buying corn and encouraging our government to pass farm bills that reward corn farmers for over-production. I have the utmost respect for farmers, but we need them to go back to growing carrots, tomatoes, and hops. Jump off the corn ethanol bandwagon and start demanding ethanol made from sugar cane or cellulose. Eat foods that are made the way God intended. It will help your heart, waistline, and our nation's health crisis.

Since I don't blog often, I'll summarize with a conglomerate of issues. I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for in the upcoming election, but if a candidate stands up to corn and pledges to privatize social security, they have my vote. Also, if everyone acted more like my wife (went to a chiropractor, ate right, used proper grammer), the world would be a better place.

2 comments:

Michael said...

sounds like the sarcasm was laid on thicker than fat on a walrus.

Hooray Beer!

Scott Dickman said...

No, I'm serious. Everyone should be in alignment, eat right, and speak properly, and quit using corn. Looking forward to you trying the beers in a couple weeks.