Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Am I an elitist?

Apparently, some people believe that those who want Americans to pay a little more for higher quality food (thus lowering our health care costs and the cost of environmental damages caused by conventional agriculture) are elitists. Well, if that's what it means to be an elitist, sign me up. I'm sure I can be elite with the best of them. Funny, because I always associate the term "elite" with women who get regular manicures, pedicures, and massages, who spend hundreds of dollars a month getting their hair dyed and styled, who drive a Mercedes S class, and who have an au pair and housekeeper in their house every day. It didn't occur to me that someone who sports either boots with cow poop stains or worn out flip flops nearly every day of the year could be an elitist. How about a mom who wears a baseball cap every third day, and buys her kids' clothes on ebay? Could I really fall into the category of the elite?

This article in the New York Times says that, because of my beliefs about food, some people think I do. So be it. But, here's my question, if I'm the definition of an elitist, what does that make the cover-girl moms who drive a Mercedes S class and have au pairs and housekeepers?

4 comments:

Michael said...

you are definitely not an elitist... but it reminds me of the distinction that Scott made between skiiers... On the bus from dropping off the cars he says "we are copper mountain people, we aren't aspen or breckenridge people."

I think a better way to describe it would be that you are a "new age hippie". But we've adopted the same habits so we're right behind you on the list.

Hillary Dickman said...

Yeah, you're totally right. We would not fit in at some place like Beaver Creek where there's a valet to carry your gear from the base to the lift and back.

Maybe this is what hippies in the 21st century will look like. Clearly, there are still "old" hippies with dreads who smoke pot and wear tie-dye, but maybe we're sort of a new and different version with a similar spirit.

Kristin said...

From MP: "...a big one is the fact we subsidize the cheap calories." Quote pulled from this Seattle PI article:
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/devouringseattle/archives/132069.asp
Note UW professor Adam Drewnowski: he is one of Phil's PhD advisors and a very interesting (if elitist) character. I'm finishing my master's project based on the King County Food and Fitness initiative:
http://king.wsu.edu/foodandfarms/KCFFI.html
and have been reading your blog voraciously! I might even have to use you as an official citation!

Hillary Dickman said...

I checked out the KCFFI -- it looks pretty sweet and I like how it tries to reach everyone. Definitely not elitist.

Glad you're enjoying the blog! I think I used to talk to my dad about this stuff, but since he's moved to Mexico we don't get to talk as much and I needed a new outlet for my thoughts. Making them public can feel dangerous, though!