Monday, April 07, 2008

Beyond thimerosal

I really like this article from naturalnews.com. It gives an integrated view of some of the possible causes of autism and also gives readers a detailed look at the connections between the government and the pharmaceutical companies that sell vaccines. I also really like that the article explains why, besides thimerosal, vaccines are bad. I think that in all of the press given to the MMR-Autism links, most of it ends up focusing on thimerosal which has been removed from most childhood vaccines. Yet, autism (and SIDS and other vaccine-related tragedies) continues to happen. Yes, thimerosal was part of the story and part of the reasons for vaccine injuries, but it's not the only problem with vaccines.

One warning about the article...the author is more of a conspiracy theorist than most of us. He seems to believe that the government is out to get us by keeping us all compliant so that we are easier to govern. I, on the other hand, believe that the government's egotism and ignorance are the real reasons for some of their less brilliant policies (ie: mandating vaccines for kids under age two). I don't think the government is out to get us in an Animal Farm sense (remember the chant from Orwell's book, "Four legs good, two legs bad!"), I just think they're...dumb. I wish I could think of a more respectful and diplomatic way to say that.

No comments: