Thursday, April 24, 2008

Great tomato soup.

Scott had to (or is it got to?) go out to dinner tonight with some people from work, so I got to make whatever I wanted for dinner. Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup is what I settled on. When I feel like tomato soup, I usually just grab a can of it at the grocery store. We didn't have any around so I decided to make it from scratch. The only recipe I have for tomato soup is pretty labor intensive, although it tastes amazing. I thought I should be able to find a simple recipe. I mean, really, it's tomatoes and cream, right? How hard could it be?

The recipe below took only 25 minutes to make from start to finish and tasted great! I used a 28-oz can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes. Next time I would use half and half or cream instead of milk, but I didn't have anything creamier than 1% milk on hand tonight. Brynn ate every drop. Callie dipped her sandwich in it but didn't want any more once her sandwich was gone. I thought it was a great quick tomato soup.

Cream of Tomato Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
2 tablespoons flour
2 pound fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped, or 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, juices reserved
2 cups reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
1 cup light cream or milk
Salt and pepper

In a large nonreactive saucepan (I had to use a stockpot because my biggest saucepan wasn't big enough -- figured that out halfway through cooking), melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes without allowing to color. Add tomatoes with their juices, broth, tomato paste, basil, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer stirring frequently, 15 minutes.

Remove and discard bay leaf. (Or hide it in your husband's bowl...just to irk him. That's what I usually do.)

In a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Return to pan and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes, and serve.

2 comments:

Pikes Peak Parent - Kate said...

Sounds fantastic. As for the bay leaf, I usually forget when I make a dish that involves one. Then I pretend that whoever gags on it is actually a lucky one, because getting the bay leaf predicts good fortune. :P

Hillary Dickman said...

Then my husband is going to have LOTS of good fortune...he always gets the leaf.