Friday, May 09, 2008

Not just humans.

Nacho was due for his annual shots a few weeks ago when I took him in to the doctor for an infection in his paw. The doc reminded me that he's due for shots and that I should bring him back after his infection is gone. I mumbled something like, "Yeah...sure," knowing full well that I won't be vaccinating my cat anymore. At least, not for a while. He's never missed an annual shot...I'm sure he's immune to whatever might come his way. Then I read this article that made me more sure that I'm making the right choice.

I've been thinking about what I'll do for Libbie's shots when the time comes. I can't leave her in a commercial boarding facility without her shots being up to date. Am I willing to make that sacrifice? Haven't decided yet. I would like to talk to my vet about testing her antibodies before her next round of shots to see if she even needs boosters. Our new family practice doctor does that in situations where a kid is required to get a certain booster -- he'll test for the antibodies to prove that the kid is already immune to the disease from a previous shot. There's no sense in giving vaccinations against a disease if one is already immune.

No comments: