Friday, May 02, 2008

Take that, trees.

I have some family connections to Stanford University. My paternal grandmother was born at Stanford, spent a good part of her childhood there, and started college there (before partying too much and getting kicked out). My grandma's uncle, Ellwood Patterson Cubberley, was the Dean of Stanford's School of Education. There is actually a library and, I believe, another building on campus named after him: Cubberley Education Library and Cubberley Hall. Despite those ties, I was raised a tree-hater. Or, wait, was I a cardinal-hater? That's as in the color cardinal, not the bird. Or, was their mascot at one time a bird? I can't keep track. All I know is that I grew up watching Stanford's redwood tree "mascot" dance around the football field every other year at Big Game.

My parents (especially my dad) were not Stanford fans. They were Cal fans. When you live in the Bay Area, you have to choose a side. No thinking Bay Area resident should be a fence-rider on this particular issue. Maybe it was because we lived closer to Berkeley than to Palo Alto, maybe it was because of how obnoxious, ridiculous, undisciplined, and silly Stanford's marching band is, maybe it was because Stanford seemed pretentious...or maybe it was because my dad's grad school roommate (whom my brother and I were taught to refer to as "Uncle Stud") was a Cal alum. For whatever reasons, the Foy family cheered for Cal and had nothing but nasty stuff to say about Stanford.

So, when I saw this blog post today I had to giggle. Those goofballs over there in Palo Alto really aren't as bright as they think they are.

No comments: