Friday, May 02, 2008

Walk for life!

This is the first time since moving to Colorado Springs that we'll be able to participate in the Walk for Life, a fund raiser for Life Network, our local crisis pregnancy center. After working for Pregnancy Care of Cincinnati, I became pretty passionate about the services that crisis pregnancy centers offer to a community. It's unfortunate that they do not have the power of the better-known Planned Parenthood. There are so many things that I dislike about PP, I can't even begin to express them all in one post. I'll save that for another day. For now, suffice it to say, local crisis pregnancy centers are a happy alternative to PP.

Walk for Life happens the first weekend in June every year. It's grown so much that it now happens at two locations -- one near downtown Colorado Springs in Memorial Park, and one up north at our church, New Life. This year they're also hosting Steven Curtis Chapman for a concert the night before the walk. I've been an SCC fan since I was a freshman in high school (when he still had a mullet and a synthesizer), so as soon as I heard that he was coming to town, I bought tickets for the whole family. Proceeds from the concert go to Life Network. I've also volunteered to work at the walk the next day. The thought of getting involved with another crisis pregnancy center revs me up...I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the walk this year!

No comments: