Sunday, August 31, 2008

Brynn swims for the camera...finally.

For about a month, I've been trying to get Brynn to swim freestyle when her dad is around to watch. And I've been trying to get her to swim in front of the camera. And I've been bribing her to swim a 25 free (that's one lap of freestyle to you non-swimmers). I offered her ONE new Jibbitz for her Crocs if she would swim ONE lap of free, but that didn't work because her generous Grandma sent her a bunch of Jibbitz in the mail. Not meaning to sound ungrateful...she loves the Jibbitz. Thanks! Then I offered her a Josh & John's milkshake, a swimsuit with a skirt, a Barbie Jeep, and even a trip to Disneyland. Nope. She wouldn't swim -- not for any of them. This was hard for me to understand. I got my ears pierced on a bribe. I got my Guess overalls on a bribe. I think I might have gotten my LA Gear high tops on a bribe (remember those? The ones that looked a little like moonboots? Especially with multiple pairs of socks on?). All of those prizes were swimming bribes. All of them were because I got my best time in an event -- usually a backstroke event. When Brynn wouldn't take the bait, I was really out of ideas.

Then comes her dad...her playful, fun, enthusiastic, competitive dad. He decides to start racing me in the pool. He had Brynn on his back and I had Callie on mine. We raced a few times and Brynn was having fun. Then he somehow talked Brynn into racing him. What? Brynn, race? Freestyle? My Brynn who is "too shy" to swim in front of anyone? Yes, that's the girl. Swimming a 25 freestyle next to her dad? Twice?? I was too amazed to go get the camera. And when she finished, she said something like, "When do I get that Barbie Jeep?" Huh? Hee hee. Oops. I didn't really think you'd do it, Brynn. But I will order you a swimsuit with a skirt on it. She's not totally satisfied with the result, but she's looking forward to her new suit.

I don't have video of her swimming a 25 free because she was "way too tired" to do it again once I got the camera. But, I did get a movie of her swimming across the deep end. See, she really can swim!

1 comment:

Grandma D said...

Wait to go Brynn!!! Great job!!!