Friday, August 15, 2008

Halfway through veggie month.

We're officially halfway through veggie month and I have to say, it hasn't been that tough. The hardest part has probably been not accidentally picking meat off of my girls' plates (like when Brynn ordered a BLT at Wooglin's Deli and a pepperoni pizza at the pool). Other than that, meal planning has been about the same as usual. One change I've noticed is our increased reliance on dairy products. We've definitely been eating more cheese and a lot more eggs. I haven't been making rice as much as I expected (my twenty pound bag of basmati rice from Costco is still mostly full). We've had a few pasta meals and eaten a LOT of tomatoes from our garden, plus a couple of veggie pizzas and quite a few meals of rice and beans (not the girls' favorite).

We were planning to take a one meal vacation from our veggie status this month in order to eat a smoked local, happy pig at our pool's pig roast tomorrow night. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, the pig roast had to be pushed back until September because of the crazy winter weather we're having here right now. It's supposed to rain most of the weekend and will probably snow above 10,000 feet if it hasn't already (just in time for Scott's "run" up Pike's Peak tomorrow morning).

Tonight I'm making veggie chili from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian book. If it's good, I'll post the recipe. It definitely smells good...

7 comments:

3boys247 said...

If Scott gets sick from the Ascent and can't go out for my birthday dinner, (I mean the 10 of us going out for a fun filled evening..really, it's not all about me) I will never forgive him. Ok, I will, but still, that would stink.

Is he really still doing the Ascent? Hasn't he looked outside? Seriously, he must be mentally impaired. The lack of meat in his diet is messing with his cognitive abilities. Feed that man a steak!

Scott Dickman said...

Doesn't look like I'll be doing the Ascent tomorrow. Hillary is afraid I'll slip, throw my back out, and not be able to walk again for a month. What she really means is I can't go because I might slip and not be able to do the dishes, mow the lawn, clean the toilets, watch the kids, or take out the garbage for a month,

Michael said...

You two were going to cheat!??!?! That is totally not allowed!! This past Monday I played in a golf tournament and it was catered by the most delicious bbq restaurant in the area and I didn't touch a bit of it! Then at night I went to a bar where my team from work was meeting up for a mini-celebration. This bar also happens to have the best chicken wings in the area. I have a stinkin salad. None of this was happy of course, but it was still painful! no cheating allowed!!

Liz made a delicious pasta meal tonight. We agree, veggie month hasn't been that difficult.

Hillary Dickman said...

You couldn't have eaten the bbq or the wings anyway. They probably weren't happy. You do eat happy meat, don't you? We wouldn't have made an exception for any "normal" meat -- just for this special, local, happy pork.

Scott was supposed to talk to you about our possible cheating, but then he told his mom and figured you'd find out from her.

Michael said...

yeah, we only eat happy meat, and i said that it wasn't and i wouldn't have anyway, but boy do i miss wings!!

neither Liz nor I knew about the possible cheating. i think if we cheated we'd do it with the king of meat... steak from the farm.

Hillary Dickman said...

After I posted my comment I re-read yours and realized that "happy" was referring to the meat, not to your emotional state. :)

We miss wings, too. A lot. We're going back to Ohio in April and a year ago Scott would have been overjoyed at the thought of returning to Hinder's in Tipp City for wings, but...alas, no wings for us. You can get them from the farm, though, right?

Sorry we didn't tell you. Scott really was planning to. He kept saying, "Oh, I need to email Michael about the pig roast." And then forgetting to do it. Once he told his mom he figured she'd rat us out. Not purposely or maliciously, of course. Cheating was, by the way, his idea. Just needed to clear myself of any wrongdoing.

MOM said...

Hey, you guys! Why do you guys think I would rat you out? Michael knows I can keep a secret, and you guys should too. Too bad about the weather, we don't want Scott to deal with bad weather again at the top of Pikes Peak. Keep that back straight! My veggie month has gone great. I am eating lots of fresh veggies and casseroles.