Tuesday, August 05, 2008

My cool friend.

Laura, known in my blogroll as "my pool pal," is really cool. Should I say more? Okay, cool and funny. And witty and smart, too. And she's a caring and dedicated friend and a great mom to her three boys. I never really thought about how she got to be the way she is, I just knew that I liked her. But I think now I know why she is who she is.

From the first summer we met, I liked Laura. The summer we met, her mother, Sue, was dying from ovarian cancer. Laura and Sue were tight and fighting the cancer with her mom must have made Laura unbearably sad. Luckily, Laura's sarcastic comments deflected her pain and her love of wine and cigarettes seemed to temporarily dull it. Today is the third anniversary of Sue's death. I never got to meet Laura's mom, but I've heard great stories about her for the last three years. Today's post on Laura's blog really topped all the stories, though. Honestly, I'm going to have to commit some of Sue's lines to memory so that I can use them on my girls. Really, the skin flute? I can't wait to see the expression on Brynn's face when I use that one. After she's married, of course. And I love the one about the quarter and the tank of gas. And, of course, it is "nice to be nice." That's one I should work on.

I think that if we were all a bit more like Sue, this world could be a better place.

Check out Laura's tribute to her mom here.

1 comment:

3boys247 said...

Ah, now I am crying. We are even!

Thank you for your awesome post, you have really made my day. Hope you enjoyed your rum and diet cokes last night...my head is killing me!