Monday, September 08, 2008

Bacon makes everything better.

I'm very sad that I didn't pick up the two bunches of collards left in my CSA's trade box. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if we get more collards in our weekly box. Why am I sad that I didn't take somebody else's rejected collards? Because they're so seriously yummy! And out of this world when it comes to their nutrients. They're a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, calcium, and, get this...one serving has 593% of your RDA of vitamin K.

Now that we're not in veggie month anymore, I've been experimenting with bacon and what I've discovered is that almost anything tastes good when it's cooked with bacon. Except maybe beets (I even tried putting beets in a chocolate cake and...yuck...tastes like mud pie...but I'm going to try again). So, here's my second excellent recipe for collards. It's very complex...I don't know if you'll be able to manage it. Chop up two strips of bacon and sauté them. (You could probably even get by with just one strip.) While you're cooking the bacon, wash, dry and tear up your collards. When the bacon's almost crispy, drain off some of the fat and save it for another lucky bunch of greens or a fried egg. Throw a few smashed up cloves of garlic into the pan. Let the garlic get fragrant and then throw in your pile of collards. Collards cook down like spinach, so throw in a big heap of collards. Season with salt and pepper. Eat. Admire yourself for making something so healthy in under ten minutes.

2 comments:

amysprite said...

I'm not much of a bitter greens fan, but I agree that bacon DOES make everything better and might give this a try! I love most vegetables, but have almost given up making them because my kids are all picky. Maybe if I buy bacon in bulk at Costco and make a strict Bacon Rule for all vegetable cooking I could get the tide to turn. I'll give it a go tonight.

p.s. Thanks for the tip on the pressure cooker-- I know what I am asking for for Christmas!

3boys247 said...

I'm still scared of collards, can I just have the bacon?