Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cleaning up the mess

While I was listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio today, he fielded calls from several listeners who were really pissed at the thought of their money going to bail out bankrupt Wall Street firms. I can't blame them. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about the amount of money Bush wants to spend on this problem. In response to his angry callers, Dave talked a bit about what other options we might have right now and I think Dave's plan makes sense. It definitely makes more sense than any other plans I've heard, especially the idea of spending $700 billion to "resolve" this "crisis."

Here's a link to Dave's plan. I'm going to send my senators and my representative an email about it. I hope you will, too.

Also, if you didn't see Suze Orman on Oprah yesterday, you totally missed out. Luckily, you can get a few snippets of it here. I didn't actually see the show. I listened to it while I was upstairs in my kitchen making dinner. Still, I couldn't help but pump my fists and hoot with joy when, after discussing the issues surrounding governmental regulation of the finance industry and greed within the industry, Suze forced consumers to share the blame. In her trademark clipped and over-enunciated speech, she said something to the effect of, "You, sir, bought a home that you couldn't afford. And you, ma'am, leased that car. You took out a second on your house to pay off your credit cards, and you took on credit card debt in order to impress your neighbors!" I could imagine her with her eyebrows raised and eyes wide open, pointing a knuckle at people in the audience and looking individuals in the eye. You go, Suze! She told it like it is, and I admire her for that.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I totally watched that episode with Wesbury. Granted I understand very little of it, but I love the idea of not doing a bailout and it made perfect sense.

I love reading people's reactions to the bailout and they say "give the money to people who are going into foreclosure and need help paying the bills"... I'd love to respond, "no give those people the phone number for a realtor". united states of woe is me.