Friday, September 26, 2008

Ranting breeds ranting.

In response to my post about Dave Ramsey's view of the current economic mess, I received this entertaining rant via email. Appropriately, the subject line of the email was "Frustrated." Names have been omitted to protect the...err...innocent.

Hi

I have a question for you. I am very frustrated right now!! I know you and Scott like and listen to Dave Ramsey. I have a neighbor who is living by him day to day. She has read all his books and she says she is following everything he says. My problem is, she is borrowing everything from everyone else in the neighborhood!! She has called me to borrow my broom, my roaster, etc. Today, she wanted to borrow my crock-pot. She is driving everyone around us nuts!! She is borrowing because she said Dave Ramsey told her to sell everything off she possibly could to pay down her bills. Well, if this is his theory, he is not my friend right now. Is this one of the things he tells people to do? All of us around here wish this lady would have sold her house and moved to the other side of town. Very frustrating. Oh, she also calls 5 - 6 times a day. I don't answer my phone anymore and feel like a prisoner in my own home. They even sold one of their cars and didn't have a second car for a while. She was always calling to have someone take her somewhere. Now that I have gotten that off my chest, I feel somewhat better. I am just frustrated. She isn't a friend; a neighborhood pest is more like it.

And later, I received this short but sweet email from the same person:

A broom!! She sold off her broom!!

How funny is that? Dave does encourage his listeners to sell of things they don't need as a way of jumpstarting their baby steps out of debt. I think his line is something like, "You gotta sell so much stuff the kids think they're next!" He does not, on the other hand, instruct people to be the neighborhood pest. Maybe this person does need to sell her house and move to the other side of town...specifically to a cheap apartment so that she can afford her own crock pot.

2 comments:

Michael said...

i think dave's point is to sell things you don't need because you don't NEED it. Not that now that you've sold it, to go and try and find a way to keep using it. We sold our foosball table, I'm not going to go and find a place to keep playing. If she sold her broom, her sweeping days are over.

the neighbor needs to get a clue.

can we send that letter to dave himself?!? pretty please!!?!?

Hillary Dickman said...

Her sweeping days should DEFINITELY be over. I sent it to Dave, of course!