Saturday, September 27, 2008

Two artists?


I've thought for about four years that Brynn is artistic. My beliefs were confirmed a few weeks ago when I saw some of her artwork next to the artwork of her peers at school. Brynn loves art and she's good at it. I haven't seen the same desire nor the same ability in Callie. That is, until tonight. No, the artwork pictured above isn't spectacular by SFMOMA standards, but it's the result of her sitting down and creating something totally her own for the very first time. The desk where our blank paper and colored pencils sit is usually occupied by Brynn, so Callie has to go find something else to do while her sister exercises her creativity. Today, though, Callie took a nap for the first time in weeks. As a reward, I allowed her to stay up long after Brynn (who did not take a nap) went to bed. As soon as I told her that she could "stay up a little longer," Callie made a b-line for the desk and started coloring. She was being quiet, so I left her alone.

A while later when I went upstairs to check on her, Callie had colored one of the four sheets pictured above. That alone was unprecedented. The fact that she made three more and is still upstairs coloring is a little mind-boggling for me. It's now an hour and a half past her normal bedtime, but she's being so GOOD and doing something that she rarely gets to do -- how can I send her to bed? I will, as soon as I'm done with this post. But, for now, I'm reveling in the fact that my little girl who doesn't sit still has been sitting at a desk for over an hour. And she's being productive! I'm a very proud mama...

2 comments:

3boys247 said...

Great job Callie. Perhaps you need your own art desk?

Grandma said...

Beautiful work!! You can tell Callie is getting older and has a longer attention span. Good job!!