Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Yummy collards?

I've never had collard greens before, but when I found them in the CSA box last week, I didn't think they'd taste good. I imagined something like kale, and I really don't like kale. So, while making room in my fridge for a new CSA delivery today, I started searching the internet for a recipe including collards and green chard, both of which came in our CSA box last week. I was hoping to find a recipe that didn't taste like seaweed. Yes, as you can see, I had very high hopes. Then I found the recipe I've copied below. It's kind of like making salmon cakes or crab cakes, except you use greens instead of fish. It was really yummy. And it has 140% of my daily recommended amount of Vitamin A, 41% of my Vitamin C, and 20% of my Iron. Not bad for a side dish! I entered the recipe into a nutrition analysis program. You can see the analysis here.

Here's the recipe:

Croquettes (for spinach, chard, kale, collards, arugula or watercress)

Salt and black pepper to taste
2 lb fresh greens, large stems removed
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c grated cheese, such as Gruyere, Swiss, Cheddar, Parmesan, etc.
1/2 c bread crumbs
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter or more oil

Bring large pot of water to boil and add salt. Add the greens and onion and cook for just about 1 minute, until the greens wilt. Drain thoroughly and cool a bit. Chop the greens and put it and the onion in a large bowl along with the eggs, cheese and bread crumbs. Mix well, then add salt and pepper. If the mixture is too loose to form into patties, add some more bread crumbs; if it's too dry, add a little milk or another egg.

Put half the oil and butter into a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Form the spinach mixture into small patties (this amount will make 8-12). Put half the patties into the hot pan and cook for five minutes on each side --- until nicely browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add remaining oil and butter to pan and cook the rest of the patties. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Here are the changes I made: I only used olive oil instead of olive oil and butter (mostly because I didn't want to dirty a knife cutting up the butter), I steamed the greens instead of boiling them (faster and used less water), and I also added some curry powder and a bit of cayenne pepper to the recipe to spice it up, and topped the cakes with a bit of plain yogurt. Oh, and when the mixture was a little too wet to stick together, I added a few tablespoons of oat bran to hold it all together.

1 comment:

Susi said...

Oooh! I'm gonna try this with my greens. Thanks!!