Thursday, October 02, 2008

My communication wizard.

While waiting for Callie to finish ballet class on Wednesday, Brynn was using some of my extra Communication exams to color and entertain herself. I was busy grading exams, so I wasn't really paying attention to what Brynn was doing. She drew a few pictures and showed them to me and then I didn't hear from her for a while. When it was time to leave, she stuck the exams in her backpack and when we got home she emptied her backpack all over the dining room table. As I started to go through her papers to get rid of what we didn't need, this is what was staring me in the face:


Okay, so she didn't spell it perfectly, but still...that my five year old wrote "selectiv exposure" at the bottom of this exam kind of freaked me out. At least, for a second. Then I started laughing and my eyes started watering.

She was upstairs in her room when I saw what she had written. I took the test up to her and asked her if she could read what she wrote. She sounded it out but didn't get it quite right. Then she said, "Mom, I copied it from here," and pointed to where it was written on the exam. I said, "Yeah, I figured that. Do you want to know what it means?" She nodded. Here's a definition: "Selective exposure is when you expose yourself to people or messages that confirm your existing beliefs." It took me a few seconds to explain it in terms she could understand, but when I was done, she was beaming. Do you think she knew she was learning college level concepts? This from the girl who told me last week that she wants to be an editor so she can fix other people's writing...

Yes, she's really MY daughter. No denying it now.

No comments: