Saturday, November 29, 2008

it's vs. its

I love reading the apostrophe abuse blog and lately I've been hoping to see apostrophe abuse in person when I happen to have my camera handy (yes, I am a dork). Here is the abuse that greeted me as our Frontier Airlines flight from Denver to Orange County took off last week:


Here's the it's vs. its rule, for my non-nerdy readers: it's is a contraction (it + is = it's). For example, "It's great to see you here!" Its is possessive. For example, "You must purchase the movie within 10 minutes of its start time."

I'm not sure that it is a good idea to be this honest with you, but I have to say I just had an ah-ha moment. I think the reason I enjoy finding errors in punctuation, grammar, and spelling is because it makes me feel smart! Or, at least, smartER. Plus, I think I like bringing order to writing and seeing writing follow the rules. Following the rules makes writing clear, and I like clarity. When I don't follow the rules perfectly and I find an error in my own writing, even that makes me strangely happy. Because I can fix it. And I think that is fun. An odd gal, I am.

3 comments:

Susi said...

I'm with you! I can't stand it when it's should be its or its should be it's! Same thing with I and me, although sometimes I wonder if I know it correctly - so many folks say the wrong one...

Michael said...

I's enjoyed's reading's you'res post's. Its alway's frustrating's when's someone's doesn't's use's apostrophe's properlies.

Hillary Dickman said...

Very funny, Michael.

Susi, I vs. Me is on of my pet peeves, too. I remember my parents teaching me how to figure out which one to use in which situations and now I give my kids the same exact examples. Hopefully they'll never be guilty of mixing up I and Me.