Sunday, December 07, 2008

I need to be pickier...

about what I wear. I have this great Virginia Tech hoodie that Liz and Michael gave me a while back. I love the hoodie. I wear it at least four days a week, even in the summer. And when I leave the house in it I get comments on it about 3 out of every 4 times I wear it. The problem is, I did not go to Virginia Tech. I do not follow Tech sports. I do not know much about Tech except that it's in Virginia. In the mountains. At least I've been there. Once. A long time ago. And the sweatshirt is muy comfortable. And I love the color.

So yesterday morning, I left the house in my beloved Tech sweatshirt. I was taking Libbie in to have the vet check her ear (which is healing okay except for the tip -- it split open and will probably heal split open). On my way out of the vet's office, a woman stopped me and exclaimed, "Excellent sweatshirt!" I was in a zone when she said it...I think I was adding up how money much we've spent on Libbie this year at the vet and my eyes were glazed over. "Thanks," I replied. She was really excited, so she continued the conversation. "Do you think we're gonna win the game today?" Huh? I was confused."Oh, I don't know. I hope so," I said, halfheartedly. Then I felt stupid, so I asked, "Is it on tv?" As soon as I asked that I felt stupid-ER. Of course it's on tv. It's mid-December. Only important games are being played and they're all on tv. I may not watch SportsCenter twice a day anymore, but I know enough to know that. She looked at me like I was stupid (which I deserved) and said, "Uh, yeah. It's on ABC. It's the ACC championship. We're playing Boston College." I tried to pull myself together. "Oh, right. Boston College. Yeah, we should be able to win that. No problem." With that, I raced out the door and hopped in my car. I took a deep breath and realized that if I can't follow the team, the sweatshirt needs to stay home. I love the sweatshirt, so I think I'll be dilligent about following the team.

So, hooray! My team won back to back ACC titles yesterday by beating Boston College 30-12. And I think they're going to the Orange Bowl...? At least now I can wear my sweatshirt. With my head held...well, maybe not high, but at least without staring at the ground. Go Hokies.



3 comments:

lucythevaliant said...

Picking a team to follow based on fashion preferences? Is PERFECT!

Hillary Dickman said...

Oh, my. You're right. What have I become?!

Michael said...

NO NO NO!! It's a GREAT decision. So glad you love the sweatshirt. I watched the game at a bar with some friends and I was the only one who thought we were going to win.

Come to think about it... I may be sending Scott a Bengals sweatshirt soon...