Sunday, December 21, 2008

That's what I thought, too!

I was disappointed in Obama's choice for Secretary of Agriculture, but being open-minded and supportive, I thought maybe I was making too much of it. When I saw this blog post, I knew I was not over-reacting.

Scott says I shouldn't expect Obama to be an expert in everything. I don't. But I expect him to have enough expertise to pick a better Secretary of Agriculture. He could have asked for help from almost anyone at a farmer's market. Any small farmer. Any CSA member. Possibly anyone in the entire state of Vermont. Or the city of Boulder. Or Berkeley. Or Seattle. Or Madison. Or Austin. He could have called Michael Pollan. Obama's choice for Secretary of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack, isn't going to create change. He'll give us more of the same: agribusiness. The only change will be in turning us from improving our agricultural system and supporting more family farms to subsidizing the degradation of our environment and our health by mega-companies like Monsanto. Very disappointing, indeed.

No comments: