Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Goodbye, CL.

As I began to sort the mail last night, I came across a little nondescript postcard. As I tossed it in the growing trash pile, it flipped over and I immediately noticed the logo from my favorite magazine, Cottage Living. I was expecting to find my January issue of CL in the mail, but I hadn't come across it yet, so this postcard piqued my interest. And then in made me cry. Well, nearly.

Here is what it said:

Dear Hillary Dickman,

I am writing to let you know that effective with the Nov/Dec 2008 issue Cottage Living magazine is no longer being published. However, I am pleased to inform you that the remainder of your subscription will be honored by Sunset, the magazine that brings you the best of Western living.

The card went on for a while about what a great opportunity it is for me to be a Sunset subscriber, but I could barely read the rest of the postcard through my sorrow. Losing Cottage Living is like losing a friend. A friend I've known since the day she was born.

A friend with exquisite taste. A friend who is totally unpretentious. A crafty, creative friend. A friend who gives great advice and doesn't try to sell me stuff. A friend who is a great cook and cooks with the seasons. A friend who travels to fun places and finds great antiques and takes awesome photos of the places she goes and shares her travel journal with me! A friend who has an architect husband who tells people how to turn their dumpy little cottages into classic beauties. A friend who likes classic white trim and subway tile as much as I do. A friend who gives great gifts like these aprons and these scents. A friend who loathes McMansions and opts instead for something small that packs a punch. A friend who loves to work in her community garden and spends time on her porch with neighbors.

So, excuse me if I don't want to trade in my perfect old friend for Sunset. Sunset has too many ads. Sunset spends too much time on Washington, Oregon, and California...which is fine, if you live in one of those states. Sunset covers a mix of architecture, and at this point in my life I know what I like.

I like cottages.

Goodbye, sweet friend! I'll miss you.

2 comments:

Susi said...

I've never heard of the magazine, so it's no wonder it's 'closing its pages'. Too bad, as it looks like a neat magazine.
Are you already missing Mexico? Have the windy days blown reality into your face yet?? ;)

Hillary Dickman said...

Yeah, CL was only 4 years old. I don't know anyone else who had a subscription. You all were missing out!

The wind, and the slushy steep street on which I live without all wheel drive, have both blown me back to reality. The blue sky was gorgeous today, though. There's plenty to love about Colorado, even in the winter!