Sunday, January 11, 2009

Two weeks of fun.

Tomorrow's the sad day. Time to pack up and fly home to...snow flurries? Seriously? If Scott had brought his computer, I'd say let's just stay here. The beach, the food, the gigantic dog park. Oh, wait...the whole country seems to be a dog park. Which I love! As we walked on the beach this evening, I suggested to Scott that maybe next year we should come for Thanksgiving and leave after New Year's. The kids would only miss like twelve days of school, right? I can homeschool for twelve days.

At first he looked at me like I was crazy, but I think now the idea is growing on him. Although, he's an expert at hiding his feelings. I'll keep you posted...

Anyway, I always like to do a good photo shoot with the kids (can I call it a photo shoot even though I'm clearly no pro photographer?) while we're at the beach. I like to do it either in the early morning or late afternoon, when the light is best. I kept putting it off and putting it off, knowing I'd regret having to force the kids to do it if I saved it til the last day. But I saved it til the last day. I started feeling guilty today because my dog has great photos on the beach but my kids have nothing. Well, almost nothing. So tonight I took about three hundred shots of them on the beach, whittled it down to 141 keepers, and posted a few favorites below.

What I learned while on the beach today was that even if I someday become the technical and artistic photographer that I'd like to be, I'll never be able to deal with people in a manner that gets the shots I want. Plus, there's the fact that I'm too lazy to run around like a crazy woman and lie down in the sand and surf to get the great shots. But, really, I think great photographers have a way of getting people (kids are the hardest, I think) to do what the photographer needs them to do in order to get the shots she visualizes. Here's my way of doing that:

Brynn, jump over the wave at the same time as your sister. C'mon! Can't you two jump at the same time? Argh. Okay, walk in front of me. No, farther in front. No, you're going to fast! Come back, you're too far away. Stop moving, my lens won't focus on you. Ugh, this damned ninety dollar lens. Scott, I want a new camera. The 5d mark II. Yes, I know it's like four thousand bucks with the lens I want. Do you want great photos of your kids or not? Because great photos require a great camera. Callie, LOOOOOK at MEEEE, not at the ground. Stop putting your arm in front of your face! Ballerinas don't do that!

Okay, you get the idea. I suck at orchestrating photo shoots. Maybe I'd be different with someone else's family, but I doubt it. Despite my shortcomings, I'm happy with some of the shots I got. I still like Libbie's photos best, though.