Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Baby books hang over my head.

At first I journaled. Then I filled up a fill-in-the-blanks baby book. Then I started throwing everything "baby" into a drawer labeled with each kid's name. Then I went digital. I journaled and added photos. And fun colors and fonts. And digital yellow sticky notes from Dad. Eventually I switched from low-tech digital to high-tech digital and got serious about digital scrapbooking with Photoshop Elements. I even talked my dad into getting me a large format printer for my birthday one year, so that I could print my 12x12 layouts. And that was great, until Epson quit making 12x12 paper. Instead they were making it 11.75x11.75. Well, that's not what I really wanted. And I didn't want to print to bigger paper and trim it. Too much work. Yes, I hear the irony in that as I type, as if the rest of the scrapbooking process isn't too much work, also.

Then I started blogging. And I still scrapbooked from time to time, but it was so much easier to record thoughts and events here. But now Brynn's in kindergarten. That seems like a point in a kid's life which deserves...well...an official baby book. Instead of bits and pieces scattered among hard drives, books, and drawers. Right?

So here's my current plan. I'm re-formatting her original layouts, the ones I did that covered from her birth through when I started using Elements, giving them fun backgrounds and formats similar to the ones I made later. I'm re-formatting old blog posts that have to do with Brynn, entering them in Elements so that they resemble the originals I made in Elements. And then I'm going to save them all as PDFs and upload them to...well, I think...final decision is still yet to be made, but I think I'm going to use a service called My Pic Tales. It is a company that makes photo books like the ones sold by Snapfish, Shutterfly, and others, but it's geared toward digital scrappers like me. And, as photo books go, I think the prices are reasonable. In the past my favorite book company has been Blurb, and I still think they have great quality and offer great service, but they don't offer a 12x12 book. And, really, don't you think five years of babyhood deserves a 12x12 book? So far, Brynn's book is up to 54 pages (which is actually 27 pages, 54 sides) and I have only gotten through four of her blog posts. The rest are all pages I wrote before I started blogging or concurrently as I blogged. Many more of blog posts to reformat. Needless to say, you may not hear from me as often 'round here.

My Photoshop Elements skills are not great, but if I get this book finished I will think of it as quite an accomplishment. Then I will make a book for Callie and then I will never scrapbook again. Unless I get really fast and efficient at it.

Here are a few (unfinished) sample pages out of Brynn's book-to-be:

4 comments:

Court said...

This is really cool! I was trying to decide what to do for Blueberry. I really don't want to have a handwritten book except for maybe to put footprints in. Now I am thinking if I just have them do that on a piece of paper, I can scan it in and just do the whole thing electronically! I Did a photo book for Nick for Christmas and it turned out really nice. I've even seen on Oprah where Clive Owen had was talking about organizing to scan in artwork that your kids do. You could even do stories they write! Oh, I am so excited. I think I will through it all in a box for a few years and do this. Thanks!

Hillary Dickman said...

Yeah, I scanned in Brynn's footprints from the hospital, as well as my hospital bracelet and hers, too. And her growth chart. And her first lift tickets, and a bunch of her artwork. I hadn't thought about scanning her stories. Maybe cause she's not writing many yet. But, yeah, I think it turns out really cool when it's done electronically.

nick said...

In addition to your "printed" book you can digitally publish your pdf's on Issuu.com so you far flung friends can see. I think their format is a reasonable substitute for paper.

Hillary Dickman said...

I didn't know about issuu. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip!