Thursday, February 05, 2009

The honest truth

Laura put me up to this. Here's the deal:

1). List 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep!

2). Pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.

I think this award is given out to bloggers who tell the truth. The funny thing is that I don't think I'm generally an honest person. I mean, I am...I don't usually lie. But I'm not flat-out honest. When I'm speaking I tend to be diplomatic and I usually speak indirectly or avoid topics that might possibly hurt the other person's feelings. Unless the topic is something I'm passionate about. When I write, though, I tend to say it how it is no matter what the topic. I guess the emotional distance from the person on the other end of the computer causes that. So, here's my list, with few details retained.

  1. I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And Live. And Rush. I know it's out of character, because I also love to listen to Chris Tomlin and Steven Curtis Chapman. But I also really love Skillet. So maybe the first three aren't that out of character.
  2. I tell my students that when they travel abroad, they should do everything they can to keep from being perceived as Loud Americans. I use those exact words. Loud Americans. Because I'm generally ashamed when I travel abroad and see Americans around me acting like jerks. Or like dummies. Or just plain ignorant. And then I go looking for a Canadian flag to tack onto my backpack.
  3. Not a day goes by when I don't crave chocolate. Good, dark, bittersweet chocolate. When I am in Mexico, this is very difficult. Because their dark chocolate doesn't taste like what I'm craving. So when we move to Mexico I plan to take an 11-month supply. That might break the bank.
  4. Never in my whole life have I had a flat tummy. Not even when I was a little kid. And I've always been an athlete. There was a time in my life when I was in the pool working out for three hours a day. And a lot of time when I was in the pool for two hours a day, working hard, but still no flat tummy. Maybe it's because of number 3. Because I needed chocolate even when I was a kid. Or maybe it's just who I am. Maybe someday I will embrace it.
  5. Touch is not my Love Language. Mine is encouraging words. So if you want me to feel loved, say nice things to me. But please, for the love of God, don't touch me. The Love Languages book, by the way, contains information that has been most influential of anything I've ever learned about marriage. And I took several college classes relating to marriage. One of them even had the word "marriage" in the course title. But the professor didn't teach the Love Languages. Go figure.
  6. I bathe my cat with a damp towel nearly every time he comes in the house. Because I don't like dirt on my countertops and I can't keep him off the counters.
  7. Like Laura, I also avoid talking on the phone. And so my friendships that rely on phone time tend to fail.
  8. In elementary school a mean boy called me a mean name and I still haven't gotten over it. It comes to my mind daily although I don't usually dwell on it (barring PMS). I think I have mentioned that here before...but I will never tell you what he called me. That makes it too real.
  9. I cut my own hair for the first time a few weeks ago. I did it because the haircut I had gotten a few days before wasn't doin' much for me. Cutting my own hair made me nervous because multiple members of my family (including my own children) have a history of going overboard with scissors. And I'm afraid that someday I might, too.
  10. I think it is annoying when people of any political persuasion are so passionate about their stance that they can see no good in the other side. I like to see the good in bits and pieces of the entire political spectrum.
I'm not going to tag anyone with this list. It was hard and I don't want to burden anyone. I think that choice goes with being diplomatic, indirect, and avoiding.

No comments: