Monday, March 16, 2009

One happy chicken

This, my friends, is one happy chicken. Or, uh, was one happy chicken. I know because I have been to the farm where this chicken was raised. I know what this chicken ate. I saw the yards where this chicken lived. And now I see the chicken -- the confirming evidence of a happy chicken is (among other things) in the chicken fat. It's yellow. The chicken has yellow overtones that are hard to see in the photo, but trust me -- it looks like a jaundiced newborn. And the chicken fat itself, at the top and bottom of the breast, is yellow. Yellow. Yellow. Not cream colored, yellow. A bi-product of a happy chicken life is happy chicken fat. And happy chicken fat is yellow.

One other thing...you know what I love about this chicken? Look how it's shaped. Little breasts and big thighs. It's so nice to see other creatures with a shape like mine! Pioneer Woman compares herself to this cow on her ranch. I'm more like this happy chicken.


5 comments:

Susi said...

share your recipe, will you? ;) whole chickens are rare around here, but I have one in the freezer from VC...

Hillary Dickman said...

Ha! Whole chickens are the only kind you see around our house because they're the only ones I can get from our farm! Um, I just blast them. Rinse the chicken inside and out, dry, add salt and pepper. Blast in a 425 degree oven for about 50 minutes, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I shredded the meat from this one to add to an Asian salad.

Fulton said...

are there any delicious animals that can't run very fast and have big bellies??

Hillary Dickman said...

Michael, I believe the animal to which you are referring is called...um...a pig. Possibly the Pot Bellied variety.

Fulton said...

OINK OINK!! :)