Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Ishmael Beah

I'm apparently a bit late to the game here, since the video below is two years old, but I am finally reading Ishmael Beah's book, A Long Way Gone, his memoir about his life as a child soldier in Sierra Leone. I was at the library in between classes looking for something to read and just happened to pull this book off the shelf. I'm nearly done with it now and have been overwhelmed by Beah's story. I love this video with Beah on Jon Stewart's show -- Beah smiles through nearly the whole interview. Smiling was something he was incapable of as a child soldier, so it is encouraging to see him rehabilitated. I don't normally enjoy nonfiction the way I've enjoyed this one -- I highly recommend it. The story is truthful, raw, and sad but by the time you get to the end you feel encouraged and you believe that, for people mistreated as severely as Beah was, change is possible.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
Ishmael Beah
comedycentral.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic CrisisPolitical Humor

2 comments:

Kate said...

De-lurking a moment to say how much I loved this book, too, although yes, I read it a few years ago now. I catalog all the books I read on my blog/portfolio (http://www.katejonuska.com/2007/05/20/a-long-way-gone-ismael-beah/) and have since 2004. Explanation: I'm another local who found you through Springs Roll a while back and subscribed, finding your adventures in food very interesting. I'm a Venetucci CSAer, myself.

Hillary Dickman said...

Hi, Kate! It's so great to hear from you! I sometimes forget that people outside of my family read this thing.

I've heard great things about the Venetucci CSA. I'm glad you're a part of it.

Thanks for leaving a comment!