Friday, August 28, 2009

Callie's first day of school

Sorry...one more school report!

Callie is our child with the unpredictable, roller-coaster-like emotions. We really can't predict from day to day how she will react to anything. Well...we try to predict, but we're generally wrong. Case in point: I assumed that Callie would appear sullen and afraid in her first-day-of-school photo. She likes us to know that she is her own person, I guess, and that we can't even hope to contain her!

Here she was this morning before school:



Happy, right? And then at the gate ready to go into school. Still, clearly, feeling happy:


Callie reported that everything at school today was great, except that they had to sing songs in "stupid Spanish and I didn't understand any of it." Yeah, uh, get used to that, sweetheart. She did, though, make a friend already. She doesn't know the friend's name but was proud to tell us that "luckily, she speaks English to me and Spanish to everyone else." Very lucky. Now, Callie reports, she has two friends to invite to her birthday party. One is Cynthia from across the street, and one is her new, nameless friend who is bilingual. She's always planning...

4 comments:

Fulton said...

sorry? you start the blog post off with "Sorry"? I don't think there is anyone who is voluntarily reading your blog and is not enjoying these posts about their first days of school. it's very interesting to see how the girls are reacting and enjoying the new environment. keep the info coming!

Hillary Dickman said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I just assume that writing about the kids gets a little self-indulgent after a few posts. But, since part of the purpose of this blog is to journal my kids' progression through their development, I figure it's okay. I do understand if it's boring for those not related to my kids, though!

Bri!!! said...

Hilary, you have really beautiful girls. Their eyes are to die for. What an experience. I hope to offer something like this for our kids in the future!

Hillary Dickman said...

Thanks, Bri! Your little one is awfully handsome!

I bet, with Dan's line of work, your family will get an opportunity to spend some time abroad. I'm still close to the pediatrician who took care of me as I was growing up. His family spent a year in Kenya with Doctors Without Borders...or something like it. It was an amazing experience for his family. I'm sure they need guys like Dan!