Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Overnight Oatmeal

I found a recipe for overnight oatmeal on the Whole Foods blog not long ago. When I saw the title, I was intrigued. I thought it would have to go in the crock pot overnight which would make it the first crock pot recipe I've ever seen on the Whole Foods blog. Curious, I checked out the recipe and found that, tah-DAH! It's a no-cook oatmeal recipe! It comes out like muesli. Just combine oats and milk and a few other tasty nuggets and leave it in the fridge, covered, overnight. I am in love!

The proportions are easy -- one part oatmeal to one part milk (I use a half cup of each). Top it with whatever sounds good to you. I put a little drizzle of maple syrup, some walnuts, raisins, and whatever fruit we happen to have in the house, if it is convenient. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight and in the morning, it's ready to eat! Couldn't be simpler.

Today my oatmeal was topped with these mangoes:


Last week a guy was walking up our street selling two big bags of softball-sized mangoes for only 20 pesos per bag, which is about $1.50 US. How could I say no? The bag weighed at least ten pounds, I'm certain...although I am really bad at estimating weight. Perhaps that has evolved in me as a form of self-preservation...

Ahem. Anyway, I was a little perturbed when I saw the same guy walking back down the street with the other bag of mangoes still in his hand. I'm the only person on the street who bought a bag? I alternated between thinking I should yell for him to come back and sell me the other bag while at the same time getting a little nervous, thinking maybe there was something wrong with the mangoes or I was getting ripped off...who knows why nobody else wanted them?

Never the less, I set the mangoes out to ripen and when I eventually cut into one, it was quite possibly the best mango I'd ever tasted! And so big that one mango was plenty of food for Callie, Brynn, and me. Unfortunately the next day, two of the mangoes were way beyond ripe and I had to toss them. But, that left me with like six more to play with. I diced four of them into a bowl and then ran out of room, so I stuck the other two in the fridge where I hope they'll be good for a few more days. Now the girls and I are eating everything with mangoes. Cereal, yogurt, dessert, and this fabulous overnight oatmeal.

No comments: