Sunday, November 08, 2009

This kid can pout.

Parenting any kid is a challenge, but it seems that Callie presents challenges that are beyond the scope of what most parents deal with on a daily basis. If you don't believe me, ask her grandparents. They frequently look at me wide-eyed and sigh at Callie's displays of emotion. In fact, if it weren't for her grandparents, I might think of Callie as...normal!

What I have learned about Callie over the past few years is that she is extra passionate. Extra protective...of herself. More likely than most kids to display contentment one second and utter dismay the next, followed quickly by uncontrollable giggles. She is unpredictable and spends her days in the extremes of her emotions. As even-keeled as Brynn tends to be, Callie is the polar opposite. I am praying for her husband already...he will have to be a VERY laid-back guy.

One thing that Callie seems to have perfected through all of these emotional fluctuations is her pout. This kid can POUT! I noticed it today as I was editing a new batch of photos. I saw a few pouty shots that reminded me of some I'd taken before. And so, just for fun, I thought I'd share with you a few of the pouts I've caught on camera in the past few months. These only go back about six months...imagine how many I'd find if I went through ALL of my photos of her. Yikes.

A true, honest to goodness pout:

A ready-to-break-into-giggles pout:

An I'm-tired-take-me-home pout:

A get-the-camera-out-of-my-face pout:

An I'm-not-getting-my-way pout:

An I'm-scared-that-my-flip-flops-are-lost-forever pout:

A very hot and sweaty pout:

The good news is that for every pouty shot I've got, I have about fifty exuberantly happy shots of her which tells me that, at least when the camera is out, she spends more time laughing than she does sulking. On some days, that photo evidence is strong encouragement!

2 comments:

Fulton said...

i can already tell you, pouting is something i am going to struggle with as a dad. i should probably take the phrase "oh suck it up" out of my vocabulary :).

Hillary Dickman said...

My version of "oh suck it up" is "oh, get over it!" I use it on Callie frequently with little success. Usually she bursts out screaming. I have learned that if I can get myself to laugh at her pouts, usually she'll start laughing, too. But sometimes I'm too annoyed to be able to laugh!