Thursday, December 17, 2009

Toxic sludge.

I thought I knew something about the food industry in America. I mean, check out the "food politics" category on this blog. I've written a lot about it in the past. But I didn't know this. Or if I read it somewhere, I conveniently let it slip my mind because it's so wrong in so many ways and for so many reasons.

I'm talking about toxic sludge, or Biosolids, as the PR folks would spin it.

It's the nasty stuff that comes from our toilets, our hospitals, our factory floors, our storm drains...it all makes its way to the sewage treatment plant and then, apparently, half of it ends up as fertilizer on conventional American farms and in free compost piles in cities throughout America. Even in clean-n-green San Francisco. Can you believe it?

Admittedly, I am no expert on sewage. Everything I know about sewage I learned from Finding Nemo..."All drains lead to the ocean!" I thought that was disgusting and wrong, but this seems just as bad, if not worse.

Read more here, in the Huffington Post article published last month.

No comments: