Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Visitors

If we only count visitors who are here to enjoy themselves (as opposed to being here to take care of us when we were Dengue patients), then we had our first visitors last week! A great friend of mine from college and her husband were here to spend the week with us. They are very seasoned travelers who have spent time in all kinds of cultures and we had a great time seeing our little corner of the world through their eyes.

Their visit reminded us of some aspects of life here that are different from what we experience at home. Here are a few examples:
  • Roosters crowing...not just at sunrise, but all day long. And baby roosters (or possibly frogs) who also try to crow but end up squawking instead. I had to wake up early yesterday and thought that maybe the alternating crow/squawk was some goofy alarm sound that Scott had picked for me -- it was that rhythmic and predictable. Then I heard the actual alarm and was pretty confused. Our visitors had a great white noise machine to drown out most of the nighttime street noise, but it couldn't cover the crowing/squawking.
  • Bumpy roads. I've adjusted to these, I guess, because I don't really notice them anymore. Most of the roads here are made out of large rocks laid in the dirt or sometimes laid in cement. We do have paved highways, but nearly all side streets are of the rocky, bumpy variety. Our visitors were happy to return to the smoothly paved roads of the USA.
  • Bullies. There are a few boys who live on our street who look like and act like bullies. I know bullies exist everywhere, but our street seems to have an abundance of them. And for some reason, they hang out on the street outside my kitchen window. A lot. I really can't complain about them much, since they're nice to my kids. But treat the neighborhood dogs like crap.
  • Mosquitoes. Apparently at home mosquitoes die in the winter. At least that's what I hear. We've still got them. Downstairs isn't bad since I put a screen in the double-door opening, but upstairs is totally open and still gets its fair share of skeeters. And geckos. And gecko poop.
  • Dust and grime. Even when our house is clean, it is dirty. In the winter when there is little to no rain to hold the dust down, it just goes everywhere and saturates everything. Our visitors looked very clean on their first day in town. Their shoes looked like they were straight out of the shoebox, even though they weren't. Now they've got the worn-in grimey Mexican look.
  • Bugs of the microscopic variety. I know that these exist at home, but they seem to live here in super-abundance which led our visitors to slather every tiny cut or scrape in Neosporin. And can I blame them for their caution? Absolutely not. We'll be doing the same from now on...since Scott recently got a spider bite on his toe and it is now infected with Staph. Ick. His whole foot and ankle swelled up like a balloon and the bite drained fluid most of the time our visitors were here. Nasty, nasty, nasty. He's on three different kinds of oral antibiotics and he's had three antibiotic injections in his rear. It's enough to make a person want to shower in antiseptic spray.
As we adjust to the culture here we seem to be accepting some of this stuff that really irked or annoyed us at first, but it is fun to see the culture through the eyes of a fresh visitor. It reminds us of how much we have gotten used to!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Haha, I'm glad I booked our flights before reading this! You make it sound so appealing :-)

Hillary Dickman said...

I thought the same thing when I got your itinerary!

Fulton said...

I'm especially looking forward to the bullies. My imagination is running wild with expectations.