Friday, January 01, 2010

The next ten years...

As we sat on the beach around a not-so-big bonfire last night, a friend asked, "Ten years ago, when the last decade started, did you think you'd be ringing in the next decade here, on this beach? Living in this town?"

Uh, no. When I was twenty two? Did I think I'd be entering the next decade with two kids...one of whom is apparently an adolescent? No. And I certainly wouldn't have guessed that I'd be living in Mexico. Although it may not have surprised me if I'd seen it in a crystal ball.

What about ten years from now when we're moving from 2019 to 2020? What will my life look like then? Where will we be? What will my family look like? What kinds of highs and lows will be the story of our lives?

It's something to ponder.

It's totally cliché, I know...the whole, "I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future" thing. Still, thinking ten years ahead is enough to make me a little jumpy, but knowing that I don't control it, well, that is like a breath of fresh air.

1 comment:

lucythevaliant said...

I'm so jealous of that perspective. I still would like to control everything, even though I know better!