Saturday, March 27, 2010

A little gripe here, a little gripe there.

We've done a good job of adapting to our life here in Mexico, at least in my humble opinion. We sleep through the roosters who crow all night long. It doesn't really bother me anymore that there is a veggie man driving up the street with his announcements blaring at 6:30am every morning. I let my kids ride in our car around town without seatbelts, sometimes even in the front seat! The horror! My body has managed to metabolize amounts of cheese that I previously believed to be impossible. We apply copious amounts of mosquito repellent every day. These are things we've learned to live with. We are pretty uptight, but sometimes we manage to go with the flow.

Yet, there are things to which I have not adapted and which I believe will remain foreign to me no matter how long I live here. These are some of my gripes:
  • neighborhood kids who treat our house as if it were public space.
  • children who have no bedtime.
  • toddlers who don't nap.
  • mosquitoes who seem unfazed by repellent.
  • cockroaches.
  • feral cats who mark INSIDE my house while I am sleeping. Sometimes on my tube of toothpaste.
  • feral cats who eat my cats' food while I am sleeping.
  • dogs who disappear. Like Rocky, the cute black dog down the street, who was here for six months and then suddenly not. And Estrella. And Buddy. And the shepherd mix with the goopy eyes. And the mama on the beach...and those are only the dogs I've noticed!
  • people who think it is okay to litter.
  • chocolate that doesn't taste like chocolate.
  • the state of Nayarit sending a truck-mounted mosquito sprayers down our street (twice, because our street is a dead-end) while we are eating dinner. Thank you for that dose of poison with my amazing corned beef and cabbage St. Patrick's day feast! I have been told by someone in the know that truck-mounted broadcast spraying is the least efficient form of mosquito control, hence earlier grousings about mosquitoes.
  • construction crews that spend a year paving a 1/2 mile strip of road, but not just some insignificant side road. No, since last March they have been paving the MAIN street in town, sending tourists packing and putting merchants out of business because nobody can figure out how to get past the construction! Here is the upside, though: the situation was remedied yesterday by fed-up members of the community who brought out their pickup trucks, sledge hammers, brooms, shovels, and bolt cutters to clean up the debris that the construction crews left behind, taking the road from impassible to smooth as silk! I love it when a plan comes togethah! The road is now drivable. Tahdah! This situation merits its own post.
  • towns that have no sports opportunities for children. Hello? Is this Latin America? Where's the soccer??
In happy news, my mouth is watering for mango season. All over town, huge mango trees have little baby mangoes growing on their branches. In a month or two, mangoes will be a dime a dozen. Or more likely, ten pesos a dozen. I have never lived anywhere with an equivalent abundant delicacy so to me these mango trees are VERY special. I hope to eat enough mangoes that I might not want another one for a good ten years. Mango season, here I come.

No comments: