Thursday, April 08, 2010

Chill

No, not chillY. In fact, it's getting hot here. And humid. And I'm starting to look forward to returning home to cold, dry weather. But we're here for another two months and change, and I'm trying to make the most of my time.

But sometimes I feel stressed out. Sometimes unsolicited parenting advice gets to me. Sometimes old Canadian men mistakenly offend me. Sometimes I get tired of slapping mosquitoes fifty million times a day. Sometimes I really miss my Y membership. Sometimes I find that I need to chill.

Okay, a lot of times.

Someone close to me once told me that I need to be on Valium. When I feel stressed and I stop being nice, sometimes I think about that. Unfortunately it only makes me feel worse.

But you know one thing that helps? Besides Tequila which I do NOT abuse? Puppies. Puppies help. Seriously. Okay, so sometimes when their mama tries to steal their food, puppies add to my stress. But usually when I get around them, my heart rate slows down, I stop feeling angry or stressed or sad. Sometimes I feel like Lennie and his rabbits. But not too much. Mostly I just feel calm. One can't help but smile around puppies. And be gentle. And calm. I like being calm. I wish I were calm more often.

When I let the puppies calm me I wonder, what will I do when they grow up and leave home? In four weeks?! Sigh. I will miss them.

No comments: