Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Goin' to America

I have not been on a plane in over a year. A year! I don't think I've not traveled somewhere for this long since I was in...junior high? Probably. My streak will end on Friday when we take off for Chicago and Michigan. Here are a few things I'm looking forward to:

  • Not having to tell my kids to wash their feet. Constantly. I am so over looking at dusty, dirty, grubby feet all the time.
  • Not cleaning up puppy pee.
  • No neighborhood kids interrogating me about my children every time I leave or return to my house alone. "¿Y Brynn? ¿Y Callie?"
  • Labatt Blue.
  • Labatt Blue with an Italian beef covered in giardiniera peppers.
  • Labatt Blue with an Italian beef covered in giardiniera peppers and a hot dog on the side. (Is this the same Hillary who normally writes on this blog? Because it doesn't sound like her.)
  • Knowing that if I get lost while on a bus, I can understand the directions to get me back to where I need to be.
  • Crisp sheets.
  • Dry air.
  • Dry air that lets my hair be normal instead of frizzy. I'm tired of being frizzy. I will miss my humid-air-skin though. Can't have it all.
  • The sounds of a city, which should not include the following sounds blaring from loudspeakers mounted on trucks driving up and down the street all day: "GAAAAAAAAAS. GAAAAAAAAS" or "Señora, Señora, ama de casa, tenemos escobas, pinol, lavados..." or "Camarones. Camarones de buen tamanño, de buen calidad. Camarones del mar. Pulpo. Filetes de pescado" or "Naranjas, pepino, guyaba, melón, zanahorias, jitomate, cauliflor. Acercase y aproveche."
  • My kids' faces as we board the train to Michigan.
  • No wandering dogs.
So, here's a kind of funny story...Scott was going to blog about it, but since he never blogs, I'll do it.

We got an email from our HOA last week that said this:

An Australian Shepard dog with a yellow collar and no tags has been found. Contact me and I will provide contact information.

I didn't think much of it until Scott mentioned it later. We were out for a walk around town when he said something like, "Can you believe we're going back to a place where, when there is a dog wandering the neighborhood, a dog with a COLLAR, no less, the HOA administrator sends out an email to find out whose dog it is?"

I nearly tripped over a few stray, collarless dogs before I could respond. And then my mouth just hung agape. It had not occurred to me that, among the things I love about America, I would soon be free from roaming dogs about whom nobody cares. I mean, I KNEW that, but I hadn't THOUGHT about it. Wow.

So, yeah...a week and a half in America (almost anywhere in America) will be a breath of fresh air. And while I am there, I will probably blog about all the things I miss about Mexico.

2 comments:

Court said...

Just got off the phone with my Dad and the weather is supposed to be great this weekend. As you eat the hot dog on the side you can justify it as a hot dog for me. :) I'll just hope that it's a vienna beef and don't add ketchup. You can get yelled at for that in Chicago.

Hillary Dickman said...

Ketchup on a hot dog??? Never! Even my kids aren't allowed to do that.