Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Maybe I'm just having a bad day?

Wait, no...I'm definitely having a bad day. First, with me as a witness (paintbrush in hand, eye contact avoided), the insurance man and the roofer got into some very uncomfortable discussions in my house, on my roof, and in my garage. By the time they left, I felt quite shaken.

Or maybe it is because my girls (though continually coached NOT to do just this) raced to open the door while Libbie was barking after hearing the doorbell. Within seconds, the poor (and might I say, very VERY kind) UPS man was down on his behind in the driveway, after tripping while running from my overprotective and stupid mutt. It was dark, the neon light coming from his signature pad was a bit scary, and she was still in protective mode after being on the lookout all day while the insurance man and roofer were here inspecting the house. Still...totally unacceptable. She was carried to her crate by the scruff of her neck while I muttered several choice words. Both girls ate dinner in their rooms. They will be coming out again someday -- don't worry. They have to brush their teeth before bed and I am not planning to ground them from school tomorrow.

So maybe this bad day is why I couldn't care less about the State of the Union address? Although, I'm still listening to it from a room away. I guess I can't totally tear myself away from my heritage. You see, my dad made it clear that awareness of our political system and understanding of current events is crucial for being a responsible American citizen. Mr. Hiller, my eighth grade history teacher, made me love American history and government. Mr. Maters, my high school government/economics teacher, made me believe that if I know what is going on, I can participate and make a difference in our country. The YMCA's Youth & Government program taught me how a bill becomes a law and let me take part in the process. It made me believe that we live in the greatest country in the world, a place where anyone can achieve anything.

I still believe those things. I still think that my kids need to know what is going on in the world. I think we need to read the papers and vote and write to our representatives and voice our opinions.

But I think I'm having a bad day, because I don't want to listen to the State of the Union address. I'll read about it in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. For now, that seems like enough.

No comments: