Thursday, September 22, 2011

Language snob.

Now I can be a grammar (and spelling) snob in English AND in Spanish! Look what I found on Facebook, care of  Brynn's former teacher! Love, love, love it.

Estimado lector, aprenda que: "haber" es un verbo, "a ver" es mirar, "haver" no existe. "Hay" es haber, "ahí" es un lugar, "ay" es una exclamación y "ahy" no existe. "Haya" es haber, "halla" es encontrar, "allá" es un lugar y "haiga" no existe. "Iba" es de ir, "IVA" es un impuesto e "hiba" no existe. "Vaya" es de ir, "valla" es una cerca y "baya" es un fruto. Campaña contra la mala ortografía.


And here is the difference between learning a language naturally and learning it in the classroom. The mistakes highlighted above are mistakes with parallels in English (think their, they're, and there, too, to, and two...those kinds of mistakes), mistakes that drive me crazy when I see or hear them. But in Spanish? I had no idea these mistakes existed. I learned Spanish from a textbook, not from listening to my parents speak it, and so I never ran into these problems.

Call me a geek, but it is so fun for me to see the mistakes that native speakers make in a language other than English. And even more fun to understand them.

No comments: